Tricia,

I have developed a behind the scenes program for grades 5-12 that
provides an opportunity to learn about primary sources, how museums
locate these resources, gather information, and then use the information
in interpretive programs and tours. The times we have done the program,
which includes a presentation at the school given by museum education
staff and the on-site museum visit, teachers and students alike have
really enjoyed the program. I work closely with our curator and we have
acquired some reproduction objects for the students to handle, as well
as show the students some collections items which are not always on
view. This part of the program gives the students a closer look at some
of our primary sources, and object dependant, we permit them the
opportunity to put on gloves and touch certain pieces. If you would like
I would be happy to send you and anyone else on this list this school
program materials and packet. Good luck.

- Sheri

"Discovering History

Through Primary Sources at the Decatur House (grades 5-12)

Students learn how historians gather information through primary and
secondary sources.  Students investigate United States History from 1800
- 1820 and the War of 1812 through primary sources - written
documentation, objects and images, which reference people, events and
places from the early period of our country's history.  At the museum,
students will learn how curators handle objects; perform activities
using historic object reproductions."

Sheri J. Levinsky

Director of Education and Programs

Decatur House Museum

748 Jackson Place NW

Washington, DC 20036

phone: (202) 842-0920 x 223

fax: (202) 842-0030

email: [log in to unmask]

website: www.decaturhouse.org

Decatur House Museum is a property of the National Trust for Historic
Preservation

For information about visiting the museum, scheduling tours and a
calendar of public programs and events, visit our website or call the
Department of Education and Programs