I haven't seen anyone weigh in much on this...I would say that library and museum work are very different, and most likely you would not be considered for a museum position with an MLIS without experience in museums.   You would have too much competition from people with museum/public history degrees.  And I suppose you also need to consider what aspect of work you're interested in...admin, curatorial, registration, education?  I fear your professors gave you misinformation...it's really two different worlds. JMO.
Any other thoughts out there?  I think this is an important question.
Candace Perry