A fairly simplistic, but perhaps useful way of thinking about this is that
libraries organize information by subject matter, archives by source and
museums by object type.

When faced with the dual role of registrar and archivist at my last job I
always had to turn my head (intellectually at least) 90 degrees to sort the
collections records differently than the archival ones.   Of course, as
director of a small museum with responsibility for a library too my head
just swivels 'round continuously.

In the end, of course, most of us are looking for potential staff members
with experience, so internships and volunteering is still key.

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College
www.mitchellmuseum.org