Here in Pasadena, CA, we've done this twice.  Once in 1999 for a five-venue program of exhibitions and musical concerts called "Radical Past" which focused on the theme of Pasadena as a center for contemporary art activity in the 1960s and 70s.  Next in 2001 we did "The Universe: A Convergence of Art, Science, and Music," which focused on mankind's observations of the cosmos.  This was an eight-venue collaboration, and has and archive website at

http://pasadena-universe.org

Now we've proven ourselves nuts enough to have taken on a third one, called "The Tender Land: A Pasadena Festival of Art, History, Music and Science," which will take place in October, 2004, and focus on the theme of the earth, ecology, landscape, and environment.  It is a thirteen-venue collaboration, including the Williamson Gallery at Art Center College, Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena Museum of History, Pasadena Museum of California Art, Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens, California Institute of Technology, Shumei Arts Council, One Colorado, Pacific-Asia Museum, Pasadena Symphony, Southwest Chamber Music, Norton Simon Museum, and Pasadena Star News.

These collaborations have been quite successful.   We've done a catalogue for each and the media attention has been great.  Most of us share an opening reception and we've chartered buses to ferry visitors around to each venue during the reception.  The first two we did by the seat of our pants, and for the third one we've hired a coordinator.  Curatorial, educational, marketing, and fundraising reps from each institution meet monthly, or in specific subcommittees.  The Cultural Affairs Division director for the city attends the meetings and is helpful with resources and funding.  Each institutiion iterprets the theme on its own, using its own budget.  We fundraise for shared costs such as publications and marketing.  We've done newspaper ads and street banners.  We're inviting other organizations in the city to jump on board as "adjunct partners" -- any and all, the more the merrier.

One key to the success of these ventures, I think, is that the partners have not sat in judgement of each others exhibition or program concepts.  Each institution independently interprets the theme on their own.  The argument could be made, I suppose, that this arrangement lacks quality control.  But then an apparatus for curatorial oversight of each venue would not necessarily gaurantee quality either, and runs the risk of being divisive.  Thus far, the strategy has worked.   Most of the press has been very positive, a couple of the critics have been grumpy, but in all cases the names were spelled correctly!

s  t  e  p  h  e  n      n  o  w  l  i  n

Vice President,
Director, Alyce de Roulet Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, CA 91103
626.396.2397