I apologize if this has already been distributed.

Hello all. I'm working at an art museum in Guangzhou, China. I have
been asked by a children's art center in the city to give a talk on why
art education is important, but more specifically the role that the art
museum plays in art education. While school programs are an important
focus here, the center is more interested in programming for children
that involves community events, bringing visitors in for art workshops and
tours, collaborative programs with hospitals, special needs children,
domestic violence organizations...I will be giving this talk to 1,000
people, parents of children at this art center. It sounds unbelievable,
but true. The center really wants to get the parents to support the arts
beyond the idea of technical skill and more about self-expression,
communication. To show that the art museum can be a more significant part
of the community. They would like me to focus on what American museums
are doing, what is working, evaluations that show it's working, and the
like. I have had my own experience working in America, but as I'm a
little out of touch with current resources here, I'm wondering if you can
boast of your own programs, things you have heard of, etc...Also, any
more recent information (mine is from the late 1990s) regarding
studies/evaluations of art educational programs and effects would be greatly
appreciated.

I'm also on the lookout for images, images, images...if any of you
would like to discuss your projects and provide some images or direct me to
some, I'd be grateful.

I really appreciate your help. Thank so much for your consideration.
Please feel free to contact me off the listserv if you have any
questions.

Best,
Victoria Durrer

Victoria Durrer
Development and Program Coordinator for Foreign Affairs
Guangdong Museum of Art
38 Yan Yu Lu
Er Sha Island
Guangzhou, P.R. China 510105