Hey all:  If you are in the United States, I would strongly advise you to do a little research before you sink a dime into microfilming "your" newspapers.  I believe it is the National Endowment for the Humanities that has been supporting the National Newspaper Project for a number of years.  The laudable, but perhaps unattainable, goal of the project is to microfilm all of the newspapers printed in the United States.  I have no idea where they are on this right now, but at minimum, you should check with your state archival repository on the state of newspaper microfilming for the papers that you have.  Perhaps it has already been done.

Newspapers are primarily saved for their information, rather than their artifact-ness.  If you have newspapers that are valuable as artifacts, then you must spend your money on conserving them, not filming them.

Good luck,

Claudia Nicholson
Consultant (these days)