As a current college internship coordinator & one who actually worked my
way into the field thru an internship, I can vouch for the fact that you
do not need to be receiving credit to be an intern.  As an intern, I
proved myself competent enough to become a paid part-time docent, which
snowballed into part-time educator, which enabled me to develop the
skills to qualify for my current full-time salaried job.  Now as the
internship coordinator, I actually value the intern who has directed
goals in mind (& hope to return the opportunity afforded me).  These
interns tend to be more serious & focused.  On the other hand, they can
also turn out to be the biggest flakes, as they have no academic
responsibility to keep them motivated if the internship turns out to be
less glamorous than they'd imagined.  However, the Fair Labor Standards
Act makes explicit what does & does not qualify as an intern, which both
employers & interns are wise to be familiar w/.  The guidelines are
summarized as
1.      The internship program involves activities at the employer that
are similar to what would be found in a vocational school;
2.      The internship program is for the benefit of the interns;
3.      The interns do not displace regular employees, but work under
close observation;
4.      The employer derives no immediate advantage from the activities
of the interns, and on occasion, the employer's operation may actually
be impeded;
5.      The interns are not necessarily entitled to a job at the
completion of their internship; and
6.      The employer and the interns understand that the interns are not
entitled to wages for their time spent.

Christopher Lynn
Museum Educator/College Internship Manager
Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum
Pier 86, W. 46th St. & 12th Ave.
New York, New York  10036
ph: (212) 957-7052/fax: (212) 957-3729