From: [log in to unmask]>Heidi Campbell-Shoaf
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 1:24 PM
Subject: traditional ethnic holiday customs

This holiday season our museum is focusing on the various customs practiced by the different immigrant groups that settled Frederick County in its early years. We have lots of things relating to food but since there is no food allowed in the museum areas that is problematic. I am planning on making some fake food, but we would like to include other non-food traditions. I thought some of you might have some suggestions.  The main groups we are focusing on are German (and Moravian), English, Irish, French, African-American (both slave and free), Jewish (Chunakah), and Greek or Greek Orthodox.

I would also like any suggestions of suitable children's crafts relating to ethnic customs. We do Scherenschnette (German paper cutting) and Moravian paper stars, but both are a bit too complicated for young children.

Thanks in advance.

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf
Curator
Historical Society of Frederick County