Hi All --

It is likely that this subject has already been discussed, if so, please
point me to the appropriate digest entries.

I work in a university-based natural history museum, built in 1987, with
collections that are largely archaeological and ethnographic in nature.  We
are currently in the process of redesigning our exhibit area (about 3300
square feet).  At the same time, we will also be replacing our HVAC
system.  It is our plan to supplement generalized building control with
active and passive microclimate-controlled display cases.

In our discussions regarding temperature setpoints for the HVAC system, the
issue of maintaining visitor comfort has come up, which would require a
somewhat higher summer temperature setpoint (73 degrees F) than I would
have envisioned for ideal artifact preservation.

I would appreciate your feedback on the subject, in particular, on how this
issue has been addressed at other institutions, including specific
setpoints and daily/seasonal swings.  I do recognize that relative humidity
will also be a factor in the equation, though that appears to be more
difficult to control in an area of fluctuating occupancy levels.  As
always, many thanks for sharing your expertise!   -- Pam

Pamela E. Endzweig
Director of Collections
Museum of Natural History
1224 University of Oregon