>Mike,
>What a great source!  Thanks so much!
>
>Aldona

>  The following link has lists of books, plays and films that feature
>  art conservators or art conservation as a main theme in the work.
>
>  http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/rushfield/conservation-fiction/
>

>  The source of the site is the "Conservation On Line" website.
>
>  http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
>
>  Mike

>  >
>>  >I'm teaching an "Introduction to Museum Studies" course next year.  I plan
>>  >examine popular images of museums by having students read novels and/or
>>  watch
>  > >films that are about, or set in, museums.  Any suggested titles?
>  >

Aldonna,

If you want to reach a little further and expose your students to
contemporary art/film in the process, you could present Isaac
Julien's THE ATTENDANT. Yes it takes place in a museum but its
NOTHING like the films on the other lists. Definitely screen it
before bringing it to class!

Mike

The Film Art of Isaac Julien

Isaac Julien is Britain's preeminent black filmmaker, an
internationally recognized artist, writer, teacher, and scholar. His
films include "Frantz Fanon: Black Skin, White Mask" (1995); the
Cannes Film Festival prizewinner, "Young Soul Rebels" (1991); and the
critically acclaimed documentary on Langston Hughes, "Looking for
Langston" (1989).

Julien's preoccupation is with the representation of race and
masculinity in film. While his work is certainly considered "avant
garde," Julien employs conventional filmic strategies such as
narrative and beauty to explore and subvert stereotypical portrayals
of gay and black subjects. More poetic than didactic, his films are
characterized by their dream-like imagery and sensuality.

In the film installation The Attendant, a black uniformed, male guard
(the attendant) and a black female conservator are the protagonists.
The attendant and the conservator are locked in silence, and no
interaction takes place between them and a white visitor. This
silence is shattered by the amorous sounds of the attendant and the
visitor making love in the museum. Julien thus presents desire and
pleasure as possible avenues for resistance to racial and class
distinctions. Although she remains silent, the conservator is an
ally, enabling the encounter between the lovers.

The recently completed Three (The Conservator's Dream), is projected
as three looped sequences side by side. An exploration of desire
through dance, Three juxtaposes symbolic images with their religious,
cultural, and social references. Through its collaborative nature and
with its interdisciplinary references (to photography, film, dance,
painting), it breaks down the barriers between those disciplines and
beautifully unites them.

--
Michael McHugh, AIA
LEED Accredited Professional