One of the wonderful task all Historians, and writers of non-fiction have is discerning between primary and secondary sources. I recomend to students i work with writing papers on History the following book:
Storey, William K. Writing History Oxford Press 1999
    This is a very easy to read directory on writing term papers step-by-step.Chapter 2 titled,Interpreting Source Material is extremely good. It distinguishes between primary, and secondary souce material. In his definition he says primary works" deal directly with the period" while secodary" reflect on the period written ( !8-19). However ,sometimes secondary sources may be ultilized as primaries, depending on use.His example of this is, Thomas Babington''s The History of England, which describes the origins and outcomes of England's Glorious Revolution of 1688. For a Historian, using it in his study of 17th century England it would be a great secondary source, but to a historian studying Victorian England it becomes a primary source dealing with the intellectual life in the 1840's and -1850's. As to the internet, one must always be skeptical, an original painting, digitalized for view on the net, I would consider a primary work, but this again depends on usage. An inscription ,I would become more skeptical of because it could be misprinted, misworded or altered so I would have a problem using these as primary in nature. (19)
    Normally when I instruct students on interpreting sources I ask them to answer the 5 w's to see if it is what they need. ( Who, What, Where, When,  and Why). If it meets their criteria in their work, use it or at minimum, keep it.  Im sure others have different opinions especially those in other fields, but heres mine
James T.Schulte
South Jersey Historian