From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of Barbara O'Brien
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 9:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Primary sources from web-sites

Kate,

Personally I would consider the image of the document a primary source if it
is the information contained in that document that is important.  A
translation of that document would be a secondary source because information
in the document has been filtered and once removed from the original.  If,
however, the researcher is looking beyond the contents of a document to the
physical form then the image is secondary.  Footnote would contain would
contain URL and documents physical location with further note that Web image
was used.
Just my thoughts