Hi Ms. Wishart;

     According to my copy of Chenhall parts are either treated as Accessories or as a whole with a modifier.  I would suggest the carburetors be classified as Land Transportation Accessory or as Land Transportation --Motorized, Automobile, Part.  Our database has a subitem field where we list various information that helps identify the object.
   For example with our United State flag collection we use the subitem field to list the number of stars each flag has or other association.
   We would probably is a carburetor as an Automobile for the item name with the subitem being carburetor.
I hope this helps.

Megan Wishart wrote:

We are struggling to find a suitable Chenhall entry to cover our collection of automobile carburettors. Any suggests from the technology museums out there?

Megan Wishart

Musuem Librarian and Acting Registrar

Walsh Memorial Library, MOTAT

805 Great North Road