Which truly brings us back to the original answer: it depends!

janice
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of James Schulte
  Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 4:30 PM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Writing sample

      In my opinion a 3-5 page paper is sufficient, on any subject matter.
The potential employer is not looking specifically for content but how well
you write. Now let's get one thing straight. I'm the one who delivered a 400
page paper to an interviewer after I went through the process and was never
asked for one. This interview(interviewee) was the lady from hell. I have
hired and fired and never would treat a respective emppoyee like i was
treated this day, so when she asked for a writing sample i sent her my
thesis as a " thank you, but no thank you. Luckily I knew several board
members at this site and dealt directly with them. A week after my interview
I took her job .Now come on we all have our quirks, I have a small sense of
humor.
  James T.Schulte
  South Jersey Historian