Art:21 PBS series Sept 9-10: please spread the word! Dear Colleagues:

Please help us spread the word about our PBS series "Art:21-Art in the Twenty-First Century", a major educational resource, and the only documentary television series devoted exclusively to contemporary visual art. Season Two of this Emmy-nominated PBS series will air nationally on PBS September 9 and 10, 9-11pm (in New York, September 9 and 15, 9-11pm). Please check local listings as dates and times may vary locally.

We hope you will let your members/community know about our upcoming broadcast! At the end of this email are various tools to help you do this.

Art:21 is not just for art museums! Several of our artists take their inspiration from natural history, science, and historical events. Art:21 actively seeks to connect art to other disciplines, and we would love to work with museums in these fields, as well as art museums.

Art:21's broadcast is only the starting point for our mission of making contemporary art more accessible to a broad-based audience. We also produce free Educators' guides, online lesson plans, professional development workshops and many other events, companion books published by Harry N. Abrams, and an extensive companion Web site to the series, www.pbs.org/art21 where you can find out much more about our project. We also are always interested in working with organizations and educators on more in-depth education and outreach projects.

Providing unprecedented access to the artists of our time, Season Two of this unique four-hour series features 16 artists working in the United States today. The artists, including painters, photographers, sculptors, performance, and video artists, demonstrate the breadth of artistic practice across the country and reveal the depth of intergenerational and multicultural talent. Themes of Stories, Loss and Desire, Humor, and Time provide a connective thread between profiles of three to four artists per program.

In Season One, Art:21 had over 4 million viewers, more than 2.5 million web hits, and 125+ educational events and programs nationwide. To achieve this impact, we rely greatly on grass-roots support from organizations such as yours, and we hope you will join us in the effort to spread the word for Season Two. It would be wonderful if you could:

- post an announcement on your Web site with a link to ours
- send a listserve announcement to your members/commmunity
- include us in an online newsletter (or a print newsletter)
- distribute our postcards and poster, which can be downloaded off of our Web site at www.pbs.org/art21/events/index.html

To facilitate letting people know about Art:21, we have created a number of tools, including:

-  An ³e-postcard² that can be customized with your own message (see below)
- Streaming video clips (in RealPlayer format) for use on your Web site or for embedding as a link in an e-mail (**you can also view these for a preview of our series!)
- Photo index page (of high res images)
- Press release including the full list of artists profiled (available at www.pbs.org/art21/series/publicity)
- Short paragraph about the series for use on your Web site

Below are instructions and links to these various tools. We would also be delighted to speak to you about more in-depth educational outreach events. To find out more about Art21ıs outreach, please reply to this email or contact our Director of Education and Outreach, Jessica Hamlin at [log in to unmask]

************************

E-postcard:

To send the e-postcard to your e-lists or listserves, click on the link
below or cut and paste this link into your browser:

http://kellysalerno.com/art21/message.php?sample=1

You can enter or ³cut and paste² your e-list addresses into the first text
box and write a customized message from your organization to the recipients
in the second text box. If you want the recipient to be able to contact your
organization, add a link back to your Web site or to a contact person. It
would be great to suggest in your message that they forward the e-postcard
to colleagues and friends. Please include Art21 ([log in to unmask]) in your list of people to whom you're sending, so that we may have a record of your sending this.

Click on ³Send Message² to send out your customized email.

Alternatively, you can click on ³Generate HTML² to create your own
customized HTML code. Copy the HTML code and save it as a text html file
then attach it to any e-mail you send from your own e-mail browser.

Streaming Media Clips from ART:21‹Art in the Twenty-First Century :

This streaming media, which uses RealPlayer, resides on our server so usage
will not tax your computer systemıs capabilities.

To display these clips on your Web site, we have created a graphic that will
link directly to the streaming media. The graphic and the HTML code for
linking are available at this URL:

http://www.kellysalerno.com/art21/videolinks.html

If you donıt have space on your Web site for the graphic, you can just use
the URL links provided below with whatever kind of a heading works in the
format of your site design.

The video links are offered in two sizes to support low bandwidth (slow) and
high bandwidth (fast) connections. It is advisable to provide both versions
of a selected clip in your Web site or in an email message so you donıt
frustrate a viewer.

The video links are:

Program 1: Stories
High - http://kellysalerno.com/art21/videos/art21_a_hi.ram
Low - http://kellysalerno.com/art21/videos/art21_a_lo.ram

Program 2: Loss and Desire
High - http://kellysalerno.com/art21/videos/art21_b_hi.ram
Low - http://kellysalerno.com/art21/videos/art21_b_lo.ram

Program 3: Time
High - http://kellysalerno.com/art21/videos/art21_c_hi.ram
Low - http://kellysalerno.com/art21/videos/art21_c_lo.ram

Program 4: Humor
High - http://kellysalerno.com/art21/videos/art21_d_hi.ram
Low - http://kellysalerno.com/art21/videos/art21_d_lo.ram

If you have any trouble accessing or using these tools, please contact
Olivia Dupuis at Kelly & Salerno by phone (203-863-1006) or email

Photo index page:

Please visit http://www.kellysalerno.com/art21

Short paragraph for Web site announcement:

Headline (in bold or something prominent):
Art:21-Art in the Twenty-First Century returns to PBS for a second season,
September 9th & 10th, 9-11pm [Sept 9th and 15th in New York City]*

Text below:
Meet contemporary artists at work and speaking in their own words ­ direct,
accessible, and unfiltered - in the second season of the PBS series
Art:21­Art in the Twenty-First Century. Providing unprecedented access to
the artists of our time, this unique four-hour series features 16 artists
working in the United States today. The artists, including painters,
photographers, sculptors, performance, and video artists, demonstrate the
breadth of artistic practice across the country and reveal the depth of
intergenerational and multicultural talent. Themes of Stories, Loss and
Desire, Humor, and Time provide a connective thread between profiles of
three to four artists per program. Each program is introduced by a celebrity
host, including filmmaker John Waters, actress Jane Alexander, comedian
Margaret Cho, and dancer/choreographer Merce Cunningham. Nominated for an
Emmy award in its first season, Art:21­Art in the Twenty-First Century is
the only documentary television series to focus exclusively on contemporary
art, and it uses the medium to provide an experience of the visual arts that
goes far beyond a museum or gallery visit. Artists include: Eleanor Antin,
Janine Antoni, Charles Atlas, Vija Celmins, Walton Ford, Tim Hawkinson,
Trenton Doyle Hancock, Elizabeth Murray, Gabriel Orozco, Raymond Pettibon,
Paul Pfeiffer, Martin Puryear, Collier Schorr, Kiki Smith, Do-Ho Suh, and
Kara Walker. Art:21 is also a major educational resource which includes free Educators' Guides, online lesson plans and materials, extensive educational programs, companion books published by Harry N. Abrams, and a web site at www.pbs.org/art21

*Please check local listings as dates and times may vary locally.

Shorter web text:

Art:21-Art in the Twenty-First Century PBS series about contemporary visual art airs on PBS nationally Sept 9-10,9-11pm (please check local listings)
To learn more, visit www.pbs.org/art [you can make this link live to our web site and we can link to yours]

*Note: please contact us if you want us to tell you when Art:21 airs in your area, or you find out this info by visiting:

http://www.pbs.org/art21/series/airdates.html

Thank you for your help in building the audience for this series!

Sincerely,
Art:21 outreach team
--
Art21, Inc.