I was at an excavation two weeks ago with some folks from the NYS Museum
where we brought up some wood, woody peat moss and branches clearly chewed by
beavers. The material was under a thick layer of clay (about 6 feet) and water
logged.

The re were several very interesting aspects of this; material we took from
this area last fall was carbon dated as 10,500 years old, the material looks as
though it were "new," evidence of beavers in the Cohoes, NY area 10,500 years
ago and the layer of clay one would expect to be 14,000 years ago, and thus
should be beneath the woody material from 10,500 years ago.

Norton Miller of the NYS Museum is now studying the material.