At 12:04 AM 7/4/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Date:    Thu, 3 Jul 2003 18:00:00 -0500
>From:    Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: visitor behavior
>
>On the other hand, would you restrict the world of a nursing mother only
>to locations where a baby and its associated biological functions couldn't
>possibly squick out anyone else...basically, nowhere except her home?  I'm
>not advocating that we should all change diapers on the benches in the
>galleries; only that clean, comfortable, private places in public
>institutions be provided for our newest citizens' (and their parents')
>comforts.  This includes department stores, waiting areas of train
>stations and airports, etc. in addition to museums.  Nursing will
>happen--if there isn't a place to take it to then it will happen in
>public, and blaming the victim (hungry baby or its frustrated parent)
>doesn't do anyone any good.
>

>Julia Muney Moore
>Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
>Indianapolis Art Center
>820 E. 67th St.
>Indianapolis, IN  46220
>(317) 255-2464 x233
>FAX (317) 254-0486
>email <[log in to unmask]>
>website <<http://www.indplsartcenter.org/>http://www.indplsartcenter.org>

I have had moms in homeschool groups nurse during my auditorium
presentation. I would never think of asking them to leave. They have always
been discreet, and are usually doing it to keep the baby quiet so everyone
else can hear. The fact that I was a nursing mom, twice, no doubt colors my
opinion, and other staff might be a bit more uneasy should that happen, but
the fact that both our bosses were nursing moms puts our staff clearly in
the "nursing is allowed here" camp.

---Amy

Look, I have ONE job on this lousy ship. It's STUPID, but I'm gonna do it,
OKAY?
- Gwen DeMarco in _Galaxy Quest_