>   Does anyone out their manage or know of an institution that hires
> people  on a contractual basis meaning that:
>   A contractor is hired and paid for their AVAILABILITY(i.e. every
> Tuesday  for 30 weeks to give a group a tour) and they get paid regardless of  whether or not a group has signed up?
>   What ... if that person has a personal emergency (they're
> sick,  family emergency, etc.) ...? >

You are paying for their AVAILABILITY.  If they are unavailable, they do not get paid.  If they are available but the work isn't they do get paid. State it in the contract.  Make a list of your concerns for the attorney when you have him/her draft or review the contract.

I like this concept because it seems fair all around.