If they were collection objects, I wouldn't treat them with flame retardant. However, it sounds to me as though they were acquired specifically for this sort of purpose.  If so, I would treat them the same way I would treat anything else that the institution acquired to use up rather than preserve (think exhibit cases & exhibit furniture). Some institutions keep a log of props and number them distinct from the preserved collection, others just put them to work.  It will help people in the future if they are numbered and documented so that they will not worry that collection items are perhaps being misused. On the other hand, I never had time for this.  If future flags and banners that will be used in this way are gifts, try to let the donor know what the institution intends if you can.

The opinions expressed in this email are those of the author alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of her employer.