Leaving a tombstone on the lawn for a week will probably leave a big brown
spot.  Kids do not get hurt as an effect of haunted houses.  I know I did
not when I was a kid.  It teaches then about reality too.  I think it is a
great idea to bring people from all walks of life to you museum that would
otherwise not see it as a place they would want to go.

I hope it works out for you.

Kelly Bennett

Santa Fe Trail Center wrote:
Our staff has been approached by a local organization which wants to run a
haunted house on the museum's grounds, NOT in the museum proper. I have been
asked to see what others in the museum field are doing about non-standard
use of the facilities.  None of the activities will take place in historic
structures and, at this time, we are not considering details such as
insurance.  What we would like to know is, do other sites allow the use of
their grounds like this?  What happens when items such as "tombstones" are
left on the lawn for a week?  Does the idea of scaring children conflict
with our mission as an educational facility?  We would get lots a free
publicity and, hopefully, lots of people to the museum that might not
otherwise come.  BUT, this is not what a museum stands for (the organization
has already rejected our suggestion of a historical themed fun festival).
Even though this would not be our event, we would be connected with it.  Of
course, this all has to go through our Board of Directors but we on the
staff would like to have some idea of what we think is appropriate. Thank
you in advance. Sincerely,Betsy Crawford-Gore, CuratorSanta Fe Trail
CenterLarned,
Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
(without the quotes).