If you're going to do this as a contract, it has to be spelled out clearly.  It may fall into the purview of temporary employment law.  There is a link on that subject on my employment website in the Topics section.  Just as there are laws that govern full-time employees, in recent years, this subject has surfaced and become important.

Go to http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414

Click on Topics

Click on Temporary Employment Law

Once you reach the site in question, click on the Contingent Employment Law Manual.

I cannot guarantee you the info is there, but you may be able to find it.

Off the top of my head, this can become a sticky-wicket issue.  You are reserving the employee's time and precluding them from using it for other gainful means.  If you do not clearly define what the cancellation period is (such that they have the ability to make up this now-to-be-lost income), you could have real problems on your hands.

>   Does anyone out their manage or know of an institution that hires
> people  on a contractual basis meaning that:
>   A contractor is hired and paid for their AVAILABILITY(i.e. every
> Tuesday  for 30 weeks to give a group a tour) and they get paid regardless of  whether or not a group has signed up?
>   What ... if that person has a personal emergency (they're
> sick,  family emergency, etc.) ...? >

Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414