We have a collection of international basketry - everything from touristy French marketing baskets to African, South American, Caribbean, and Asian things of varying quality.  There are about 300 baskets; all were collected c. 1890-1920 by one collector on her travels and were accessioned in 1923.   We are considering de-accessioning these items as they do not fit into our mission, but the descendents of the collector (who are still much involved in the museum) would like to see them go to another museum or cultural institution, especially if we can find one in the Southeastern U.S.   The goal is to find a good home for them where they will be displayed and are a part of the institution's mission.   Ideally we would like to place the entire collection in one place, but will consider breaking it up into smaller groups if we can't find one home for them.  Anyone who is interested in all or a portion of these baskets, please contact me.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108
Laurel, MS 39441