You need to keep track of where you have found the casings or any other probable insect damage or evidence of pest activity (write it all down).

Collect some of the casings in small plastic or glass vials for later identification (if necessary).

Get some sticky traps (the kind that have a flat bottom) and put them everywhere you have found evidence of pests.  Label all the traps with location and date, and make a list of where you have put them.  Also put traps near doorways, windows, and any openings in walls (e.g., pipe chases).  Place a few around the areas where you found the casings in corners and along walls.  Search where you found the casings for other evidence of ongoing pest activity (powder, dust, holes in objects).

Once your monitoring program is underway, then you can worry about isolation and treatment of objects.  If you suspect that any objects have an active infestation, try to isolate them.  For smaller objects, this can best be done by enclosing them in polyethylene bags.  Once you have things isolated, then you can worry about treatment options, which may include anoxia, freezing, cleaning, or chemicals.  But before you start treating anything, you need to find out what the pests are.

I recommend you read two chapters in "Storage of Natural History Collections:  A Preventive Conservation Approach" (Rose, Hawks, and Genoways)-the one on Pest Management by Wendy Jessup, and the Pest Monitoring Study by Jeremy Jacobs.  Both provide good, solid information for pest control in any type of museum.  The book is available from University Products (www.universityproducts.com).

Good luck,

John

John E. Simmons

Collection Manager, Natural History Museum

and

Coordinator, Museum Studies Program

University of Kansas

Dyche Hall