Greetings all – In Ellen’s otherwise great post, she suggested taking the
casings to your local exterminator to identify the culprit. Based on my
personal experience in another job, I can only assume she has FAR better
educated exterminators than I ever did.  Typically exterminators, or at
least the guys who come out to spray, have no clue about the critters they
are exterminating, beyond a very basic level of knowledge.  I had to deal
with a clothes moth infestation and they couldn’t ID the vermin.  I got
outside help to do it.  Also, I had the devil’s own time trying to convince
them to spray along the ceiling, rather than around the floor.  (Clothes
moths tend to go up towards the ceiling, when not chomping on your
collection – a fact I learned with a little bit of research.)  Anyway, the
best answer, as others have suggested, is to check with your local Extension
Service or see if a nearby state college or university has an entomology
program that can help you.

…and speaking of spraying, I believe the standard rule of thumb these days
is to ONLY treat if your IPM program identifies a problem.  Have a good
weekend!

Best, VivianLea

VivianLea Stevens
Curator, Old Barracks Museum