RE: touching things in reenactment vs. museums

I agree - just because it's in a museum, does not mean that people will not touch.  In our exhibit, we have dual problems.  We have many items we DO want people to touch - drawers to open, cupboards, puzzles, and so on.  At the same time, we have other items we do not want to be touched and destroyed, that are unfortunately, within easy reach (taxidermy ducks and crabs for example).  The problem we have discovered is that most people will not open the drawers (even though there is a sign upon entering the exhibit that says it is okay), but will touch the ducks, etc., even though there are signs above them asking them not to.  And this is not just kids we're talking about - the adults are as guilty as the younger visitors.

If people do not read the signage, and always seem to do the opposite of what you want them to do, apart from constant supervision (which our small operation cannot accomodate), what can a museum do?

Jennifer Gayman
Heritage Coordinator
Queen Anne's County, Maryland
www.historicqac.org