Dear Fellow Listers,

We have received funding for a new museum facility that will hopefully break ground this fall.  We have been brainstorming concepts and themes for the new exhibit areas and want to calculate some cost estimates.

I know that there are many factors involved in the cost of designing and fabricating an exhibit (collections issues, furniture fabrication, number and type of interactives, etc.) which impact the cost to great and varying degrees.  I know that there has been discussion about this on the list before.  I also know however, that inflation and the economy being what it is, these costs may have changed a great deal over the past couple of years.

So, given all of this - what are people using these days as a cost range for a per-square-foot figure for estimating cost of exhibit design, fabrication, and installation for a collections-intensive-with-some-interactives exhibit.  I have seen some estimates as low as $100/sq.ft. and some as high as $500/sq.ft.  I need a figure I can use with potential donors so if they want to fund an entire exhibit, I can have a ballpark figure that would cover everything from concept development to grand opening by hiring an outside firm to do the fabrication and installation; in other words, paying someone to do everything except the curatorial work since we had to lay off our entire exhibit staff last year due to budget cuts.

Thank you for any input you may have, especially if it is based on recent experience.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Moore

Dr. Elizabeth Moore
Assistant Director of Science and Learning
Curator of Collections and Archaeology
Virginia Museum of Natural History
1001 Douglas Avenue
Martinsvile, VA  24112