Our museum is preparing to implement a "Discovery Cart" Program for our Family Art Center in order to service those visitors who visit when the art center is not open to the public. We plan on having a 4 drawer cart filled with SIMPLE art projects can do with a bare minimum of materials. Has anyone out there had experience with this type of program and what were the pros/cons of leaving art materials in the lobby of a Family Art Centered that is not monitored by security with guards, but uses cameras? We plan to tether the plans and samples to the carts in some manner, no marker will ne involved, but we will need scissors available for the kids and I know this is making curatorial and conservation VERY nervous, with good reason. Anyone out there with ideas or experiences in the area, I would love to hear from you. List or to the address below. Thanks

Kathy Nusbaum
Manager, Children and Family Programs
The Walters Art Museum
Baltimore, Maryland