Rhonda,

Dr. Stanley Tambiah,  an anthropologist who is from and writes about Sri Lanka, who I believe is now at Harvard, wrote a book about looting and riots.    He calls such behavior a "leveling mechanism."  The behavior is usually stired up by rival political factions who want to distabilize things so that the people in power look bad, and the other political parties can control.

Riots and looting are "leveling mechanisms" because it is an opportunity for poor people to get stuff that normally they don't have access to.    It happens all over the world.    One hundred years ago,  in British colonial areas in South Asia, Africa and the Near East where local elites were trying to form nation-states and split from the Empire,  these incidents were rampant.     The colonial governments usually
looked the other way because the targets were rival ethnic groups and not the colonial governments -- e.g., Muslim merchants and Tamil bureaucrats in Ceylon attacked by Sinhalese Buddhists who resented their better social status.     The riots/ looting became a means for disadvantaged groups to seize power and blow off steam.

I think there were many things going on during the looting and riots in Baghdad a few weeks ago.   There were poor people from Saddam City [which has now been renamed Sadr City, after a  Shiite cleric]  who rioted because they are at the bottom of the economic heap and it was a chance to get a refrigerator or air-conditioner -- luxuries they don't have access to.    I think other people resented the rich  and middle-class in Baghdad, who are Sunni while most of the poor are Shiite [an ethno-religious difference that matters in Iraq].    I think other aspects of the riots were orchestrated by mafia-type groups of gangsters who just wait for opportunities like this.   They sure had enough advance notice.   Some  of them may be foreigners.
Finally,   the majority of Iraqi people do not want to be occupied by a foreign power -- it looks too imperial to them.   You know, the British were in Iraq from 1914 - 1958., so it is a "been there, done that" experience for the Iraqis.

You must remember that Iraq had one of the most educated and sophisticated, urban populations in the Near East until the Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988), when the economy started to have trouble, then came our embargo after Gulf War I (1991).

There are still many, well educated modern people in Iraq, especially in the large cities.    They are certainly capable to rebuilding their country, but they did not destroy it.   We in the United States did with our bombs.   Why should their oil money pay for our destruction?   It is like someone coming and trashing your house, then making you pay for the repairs.    I  think that attitude is strong in Iraq, even among Iraqis who admire the United States.   They are not stupid people and the majority wonder what the United States' real agenda is.   I just hope we don't let them down.   The educated, middle-class people expect the United States government to really deliver democracy, freedom, a fair legal system, and the true benefits of a parliamentary democracy -- not fat contracts for foreign companies.

pamela sezgin
professor of anthropology / museum consultant