From: joseph nusbaum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 1:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: discovery carts

Our museum is preparing to implement a "Discovery Cart" Program for our
Family Art Center in order to service those visitors who visit when the art
center is not open to the public. We plan on having a 4 drawer cart filled
with SIMPLE art projects can do with a bare minimum of materials. Has anyone
out there had experience with this type of program and what were the
pros/cons of leaving art materials in the lobby of a Family Art Centered
that is not monitored by security with guards, but uses cameras? We plan to
tether the plans and samples to the carts in some manner, no marker will ne
involved, but we will need scissors available for the kids and I know this
is making curatorial and conservation VERY nervous, with good reason. Anyone
out there with ideas or experiences in the area, I would love to hear from
you. List or to the address below. Thanks

Kathy Nusbaum
Manager, Children and Family Programs
The Walters Art Museum
Baltimore, Maryland