Re: Iraqi Museum: Many of its reported "missing artifa
I am having a one hell of a time with the American
generated press releases trying to sanitize what
happened by saying now "it's only a few dozen
artifacts."

Just because they have been able to recover countless
heretofore stolen/missing artifacts so that the number
"lost" to us all today is much less doesn't for a
minute negate the fact that, when the situation first
happened, there were thousands of pieces unaccounted
for. ...
Lives that were lost and human beings that were
tortured are horrific things.  But the loss of
artifacts that have survived 4,000 years of wars and
were preserved for all to see will not be around for
the next 4,000 years (of wars because humans are so
unsophisticated in that regard no matter their country
of origin), and that is a genuine travesty.
I am embarrassed for these cover uppers!
Indigo Nights

============

May 9, 2003

I'm with you, Indigo, but I think I'm more disgusted with the whole thing than embarrassed.

I sent the following message to the group two or three weeks ago and only received one response.  I can't believe that we as museum people don't have something to say on the subject:

Since it appears on the surface that the history of a country is not worth the temporary use of a couple of tanks or a squad of soldiers, maybe we as museum people can make our own plans.  First of all, my idea does not address the physical artifacts themselves.  I'm assuming they're all gone.  Just like Iraq.  But what can we do ahead of time to minimize the hurt.  ("Hurt" in this instance means going into a totally empty museum or library.  "Hurt" also means what it does to us inside.)

Here's my suggestion:  Take amazingly detailed photographs, make photos that can be enlarged to high-quality frameable copies, make measurements and detailed descriptions and histories of each and every important item in your collection, starting from the most precious - history-wise - on down.  This includes both physical objects and manuscripts and other paper materials, plus all documentation.  No doubt many of you do this now.

Then, send computer files of your collection to all the important museums in the world.  For the sake of argument we'll say you send your collection file to 50 or 100 different museums in many different countries.

The museum receiving your collection file will in turn store it in a safe place.  Based on the terms of your storage agreement, they can either make use of it for themselves and their visitors or else keep it sealed and in a vault.  Or anywhere in between.

Then when a museum or major library gets wiped out, as happened in Iraq, access to several backup copies of the contents of the destroyed institution would be available worldwide.  Obviously these would be invaluable in case your documentation (card catalogs, etc.) was looted or destroyed as well as the artifacts themselves.

That's it in a nutshell.  Granted it would take a great amount of money to put into effect, and would have to be upgraded frequently, but if the idea was presented to some of your major donors, perhaps a few would be willing to dig a bit deeper in their pockets to permanently record your collection.

Thoughts on this plan - to the group, if you will - are welcomed.

-Jim
--
Jim Lyons
http://www.jimlyons.com