That's a good question Deb ("Does anyone know what taxes fund their museum?")
Presently, Federal taxes, but in the past, when I worked for a municipal museum the museum was funded by the city but I was unaware of which funding sources they used. I did know that the city got money passed on from the state and that they had some federal funds. The federal funds were often if not always project or agency specific.  At the University museum (state) I did not know the source of the money that was passed on to fund the museum.  In Wyoming, my property tax bill told me exactly how much of it went to which program and some of it went to fund the County museum.  Working for a private non-profit, I knew exactly which tax base we tapped when we asked for funds.  I don't recall what that was in Colorado but in Oregon it was the lodging tax.