It may initially sound like it but Association of State Museum Associations is/was an Association for Association boards and/or staff such as Colorado-Wyoming Association of Museums and Museums In North Dakota.
From the web-site this organization appears defunct. The first two meetings were funded or underwritten by either IMLS or AAM, can't remember which.  The first meeting was in Florida, the second in Colorado and the third was, I think, to be in British Columbia.

If I read it correctly, the post was seeking to explore the idea of an association of state-governed and financed museums.