I do agree with some of Eugene's thoughts. I imagine that Iraqi National Museum, like everything else, was under the control of the regime. The Iraqis may have found the museum was representative of a horrible regime that stole their freedom and have also stolen or silenced their cultures. I agree with Eugene that the looting Iraqis were probably symbolically "taking back" their culture and heritage, which was taken from them. I won't say that this was the case for everyone. Hopefully, there will be a museum more representative of who they are.

Carol- as far as the military defending the oil interests (for non-humanitarian reasons), more than the museums....won't the oil be used as a way to fund the rebuilding of Iraq and pay for the damages done to the country. That is my understanding of the matter.  But I stand my original view, which is to take care of the basic needs of the people first (food, health, electricity, so on,)...so that they can have a chance of advancing their cultures and create new art more representative of them...then maybe they will see their museum as one of greater value to the representation of their heritage and see it less of a looter's paradise or taking what "is theirs" from a regime that stole from them.

Christi

----- Original Message -----
From: David Haynes
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 8:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: It IS important, but is it a museum?

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:51:56 -0400 Eugene Dillenburg
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

> 2) Does your organization have EXHIBITS?
>
> YES -- then you may or may not be a museum (aiports, shopping
> centers, etc.
> sometimes have exhibits, but are not museums)
>
> NO -- then I'm sorry, but you are not a museum.

OK, Eugene, by this definition the majority of university-associated
facilities that collect, identify, store, and make available to
researchers natural history specimens--jar after jar of dead turtles, for
instance--are not museums unless they have some of their stuff in a case
out in the hall. Am I reading your viewpoint correctly? Best.  [yet
another] David H.

David Haynes            [log in to unmask]            San Antonio

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!