We would be interested in any flags you may wish to deaccession via a transfer of custody if they are from the latter 2/3 of the 19th century, the main period of our historic house's interpretation.

What do your accession records say about the flags? Some donors may not be happy about seeing one of their donations leave your museum for any reason, but isn't that why we try to get all donations as "absolute" gifts with no strings or conditions attached? And also why we try to limit our collecting to that which is most in line with our individual missions?
I cannot see anyone getting upset about an item being deaccessioned if the deaccessioning is preliminary to transferring custody (aka donating) to another museum where it will find a better home, and maybe be displayed more often.

As for the VFW. They will gladly accept any flag that's tattered beyond it's usable life. That is, a flag that is so faded or torn or ripped or shredded (you get the picture) that merely displaying it would be seen as an act of disrespect for the flag and all that it stands for. The flag should be flown proudly and as pristinely as possible. A torn or faded flag is but a rag. And the VFW would quite happily give it a proper farewell than see a tired old flag continue to fly. It has served its purpose proudly and should be given the type of farewell that all veterans deserve.

To that I will add the following: If the flag is historically significant in any way, it should not be destroyed, even with dignity. If the flag is still in good condition, the VFW may not be willing to send it off to "flag Arlington: because it is still very much alive.

And finally, no matter how many, or how few stars there are on an American Flag, it is still the flag of the United States and should be respected as if it were flying all 50 stars upon Union. Once a flag, always a flag. Talk to your local VFW. They'll tell you, this is a Flag you're talking about, not some piece of cloth.

I think you're doing the right thing by trying to find good homes in other museums for these flags. If you send a list of the flags, I can forward it to another list maintained by a major living history museums organization. You're sure to find homes there among their membership museums.

Sincerely,

Scott D. Peters
Research Director/Archivist
Ocean County Historical Society
26 Hadley Ave., P.O. Box 2191
Toms River, NJ 08754-2191
(732) 341-1880

"Telling the Stories of Ocean County"

Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803