San Diego has a tourism focused groups called Accessible San Diego. They offer to consult with local museums and attractions on locating grant sources for ADA.  You may wish to seek out an accessibility advocate group in your area.

Theresa Randall
San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum

In a message dated 4/8/03 2:16:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Subj: Re: grants/funding for ADA
Date: 4/8/03 2:16:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:    [log in to unmask] (Jay Heuman)
Sender:    [log in to unmask] (Museum discussion list)
To:    [log in to unmask]

Hello all!

I'm no expert on the ADA or grants, but after a bit of searching around,
I see most funding and grant opportunities for ADA compliance must be
sought within your state . . . or from private foundations and
businesses.

Check out the AAM's web page on ADA/Disability . . . various
organizations listed at the bottom may suggest grant sources:
http://www.aam-us.org/resources/reference_library/10ada.cfm

Here's a listing of 504/ADA coordinators by state from the National
Endowment for the Arts:
http://www.arts.endow.gov/partner/Accessibility/504.html
(Unfortunately, I could find nothing similar on the National Endowment
for the Humanities web site.)

Grants through private foundations and in-kind gifts from businesses can
also be sought out, solicited/negotiated, etc.  Try construction
companies in your local area . . . hardware stores . . . banks and
insurance companies . . . etc.  If you don't ask, people won't know what
you need and don't have the chance to say YES!

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum