In a message dated 3/25/2003 2:58:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

#1. The Youngstown Wedding Buffet:

VERY uncommon in Southern New Jersey and Philadelphia area! its almost considered rude here to make your guests get up and get their own food!! occasionally you'll see buffet at a very small casual afternoon wedding, but that's about all. There is no "usual" for food because there is such a variety of budgets. You have people serving everything from caviar to cheese puffs for cocktail hour... oh! and sorbet before the main course to 'cleanse the palette' seems to be universal.
The only buffet ever is the dessert, but that's next:

#2. The Youngstown "Cookie Table":

I have actually heard of the cookie table, but never seen one. Here we have "a Vienesse Table" (is it a Vienesse tradition? who knows?!) -- basically a huge buffet of dessert. Imagine Willy Wonka with crepes, flaming drinks, the works. But come to think of it, i've only seen that at Jewish weddings -- the Gentile weddings i've seen have wedding cake served at the table, plus maybe some sorbet or little cookies, chocolates, etc.

#3. Wedding Soup-

Definitely an Italian thing. Italian weddings will almost always have this, even if they have nothing else "Italian"! and the recipe is the same. soup in general is rare, unless it is this one!

#4. The gargantuan wedding reception--

there is no real average, as it varies SO much, but its not uncommon to see 200 people at a wedding down here. Greek weddings will run upwards of 500, but there is no regional connection -- here it seems to be more how much family you have, how many friends you are willing to invite, etc. Weddings here are VERY expensive. at least double the national average of $20,000.
As for a regional feel -- the people that want to go for the Philly Freedom feel go full out -- we do a "Mummers Strut", complete with little umbrellas, to When the Saints go Marchin' In!!!

hope this helps!
beth
ps i've never heard of punch at a wedding. we have open bars. even the small, inexpensive weddings at least have open bars with wine and beer (bottles are gouche, but people do it!).