that puts it a little more civil than I
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Abdullah Alsharekh
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 6:26 PM
  Subject: Re: WWW: Iraq - The cradle of civilization at risk (H-Museum's Current Focus)

  Christi Pemberton wrote:

  >I have spoken to a professor of Archaeology/Classical Studies about the >situation in Iraq. When we were discussing how foreigners were prevented >from going to Iraq since Sadaam was placed as leader

  I think it is improper to place incorrect information to the list, regardless of one's views on the topic at hand.

  Tens of foreign archaeological expeditions have worked in Iraq before and after the first Gulf war, and anyone wanting to confirm this information can make an open question to the ANE (Ancient Near Eastern) list at: [log in to unmask] or contact Chuck Jones (List owner) at the Oriental Institute, University of Chicago.

  >but I would like to see more aid in helping the nation to preserve and mend >damages done to their cultural heritage.

  A televised news item have shown that a museum in Tikrit, Iraq was hit by American aerial bombardment. http://www.smh.com.au/ftimages/2003/03/23/1048354462161.html

      It may also have escaped the writer that Saddam had very strong ties with the west (U. S. and Britain) before the 1st Gulf War, including the supply of military equipment and cooperation.

  To sum up, "Today's friends are Tommorrow's foes" and vice versa!

  Abdullah Alsharekh

  p.s. Dark highlight above is mine