Elisabeth,

At our museum, we just opened an exhibit on mastodons (essentially a prehistoric elephant.)  Kids made balloon mastodons.  They chose a balloon to inflate and then we had pre-drawn body parts (legs, trunk, eyes and ears) for them to color and cut out from a sheet. I traced the body parts from a coloring sheet and just made copies.  Then they used  glue sticks to stick the parts on the inflated balloon.  A ribbon tied on the end was the tail.  Kids did everything themselves except maybe blowing up the balloon.  Do watch for broken balloons around very young children as they are a choking hazard.

 Elisabeth Engel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Greetings Listers.
>
> We are looking for a craft project to do with fourth graders for National
> Historic Preservation week. The building that we will be discussing is
> our Elephant House and we are looking for an elephant craft project. Does
> anyone out there know of a relatively inexpensive, low-mess, and quick (15
> min or less) project dealing with an elephant?
>
> Elisabeth Engel & Erin Foley
> Circus World Museum

Christina Hirn
Museum Educator