"How do those of you with item numbered videocassette (or other modern-day >multi-media collections) deal with numbering individual items?"

George,

It would help if I knew what format of tape you have. But here's some general info: You should never take a tape out of its casing, unless you have some experience working with tape. Tape is even harder to clean than film. We use office supply labels to number the outer tape cover and the tape's case. We never number the actual tape. It is very unlikely that a 3/4", VHS, Beta, 8mm etc tape will come out of it's case completely. (Sometimes they unwind on the spool, but I've never seen an unwound tape come out of its case.)

Feel free to contact me off-list if you want more particulars.

Sheryl Woodruff
Curatorial Assistant
The Museum of Television & Radio

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: