Having a job that you love is a dream come true, but you also have the bills
to pay. We, like the teaching profession, lose so many talented people
because of the lack of pay and respect. I believe that the museum is viewed
as being something more frivolous, not really really needed, and that
reflects on the lack money put into the museums to truly pay their employees
the salary that they deserve, which should be higher than just a living wage.
Preserving history and culture, teaching these things, and reaching out to
our communities with this information is very important in society, therefore
we deserve more respect for what we are doing, which, in this world, means
more money.

Money isn't everything, but when society wants you to keep doing what you are
doing, they give the money for you to keep your operation going. Until we
make society see that it is very important that museums keep doing what they
are doing, then we will not see more salaries that make any kind of sense.

My answer to this serious lack of money, even including people with years of
museum service, is to find a more noticeable demand related to the museum
profession which will provide more money.  I work at the credit union to pay
the bills and receive good benefits, but I am also beginning to write
articles for newspapers and magazines related to the different events going
on in the local areas. I figure that everyone needs to go out and have a good
time anyhow, why not provide them what they want to know before they go try
to hunt down an event to go to.

Well, just my two cents. Unfortunately, money is such a crucial factor in
this society. It doesn't mean that some of us are not committed to the museum
profession, it just says that we know that we have our responsibilities that
take money to uphold. We also know that we deserve better. The teaching
profession is doing a little more to attract talented people to their field.
We should do more to maintain our talent and attract new ones. We are not
asking for a whole bunch of money, just a strong salary that will provide us
with what we need and some things of what we want.

Sincerely,

Christi

M erri C .Pemberton