Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:56:26 -0600 (CST)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: own (or give) a piece of Freedom's history
From: Libertarian Party Announcements <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

3 Gifts of Liberty

Dear Libertarian,

I love the holidays and look forward to my yearly Christmas vacation.
But as I cross the Potomac on my way down to Georgia, each year I am
reminded of another river crossing that occurred around this time 226
years ago.

Every schoolchild knows the story behind George Washington crossing the
Delaware on Christmas night.  With the snow and wind blowing in their
faces, General Washington and his soldiers crossed the icy river.

Through the night they marched in frigid temperatures; some with
nothing but rags on their feet.  Some were armed only with fishing
pikes to go up against British cannons.  Vastly outnumbered, Washington
and his soldiers won the Battle of Trenton that morning.

They were tired and bloody, but their will and tenacity set the stage
for the colonies' victory several years later.

No one wants to go to war, but when the time came to stand up for what
was right, Washington and his soldiers fought and died so that others
could be free.

These reluctant heroes left us a legacy of honor, sacrifice and
liberty.  They were the teeth behind the Declaration of Independence
and set the stage for the writing of the United States Constitution.

Only one other American political document is looked to with as much
authority and reverence as these two: The Federalist Papers.

In these 85 anonymously published essays, James Madison, Alexander
Hamilton and John Jay set down the political and moral reasoning behind
the Constitution – the document that laid the groundwork for the freest
government the world had yet seen.

Few documents hold more awe to Libertarians than the Federalist Papers.
And now, through a special arrangement, the Libertarian Party has
access to five pages of the original 1788 first edition.

These documents have been made available to the LP by the Remnant Trust
– a Hagerstown, Indiana-based business that buys, preserves and
displays historic documents.

The Remnant Trust has recently discovered a copy of the original
Federalist Papers that is missing some pages.  The company has decided
to use this opportunity to "spread history around" and help the LP by
preserving each page for individual display.

Protectively encased in a beautiful, clear Lucite display case, one of
these beautiful pieces of American history could be yours to keep or to
give to a special Liberty lover you know.

These pages of the Federalist Papers are ready to be shipped in time
for Christmas delivery.  For a minimum $2,000 donation, the top five
donors will receive one page of the original 1788 edition of the
Federalist Papers in time for Christmas.

In order to guarantee Christmas delivery we request you submit your
donation by Thursday at 1 PM Eastern Time.  Orders after then will
still be taken, but we cannot guarantee Christmas delivery on those.

If you would like to own this piece of American history please visit
http://www.lp.org/holidaygifts.html.

For those who cannot afford this stunning piece of American history,
here are a few more Libertarian gift ideas.

For donations of $100 or more, you will receive an autographed copy of
Sheriff Bill Masters' book, "Drug War Addiction."  A well-written
argument by the nation's only Libertarian sheriff, it's the perfect
gift for those book-loving Libertarians you know and it's available
right now at http://www.lp.org/holidaygifts.html.

For donations of $50 or more, you will receive a "Don't Tread on Me"
lapel pin.  It's great for proclaiming your independence to non-
libertarians or showing your knowledge of the American Revolution at
your next state LP Convention.  Get your "Don't Tread on Me" pin at
http://www.lp.org/holidaygifts.html.

I hope you are able to fulfill your special Libertarian's holiday wish
list or that of your own this year.

When I cross the Potomac this year, I'll be thinking of George
Washington and all those people who won America's independence.  I hope
you can take some time out of your busy holiday schedule, too, to
remember those reluctant heroes who came before us.

In Liberty,

Ron Crickenberger
Political Director
National Libertarian Party

P.S.  For delivery by Christmas, we must receive your donation by
Thursday at 1PM Eastern time.  Don't delay.  Reserve your copy of an
original Federalist Papers page, Bill Masters' book, or a "Don't Tread
On Me" pin today at http://www.lp.org/holidaygifts.html.

PP.S.  If you miss that deadline.  You will still get your gift if they
are available, but Christmas delivery won't be guaranteed.