Hi.

As a web designer who has some experience working for museums, I'd say the
.org address is the one you should officially list.  A quick search under
Google will reveal that this is the standard for American museums -
moma.org, sfmoma,org, mcachicao.org, etc...  However, your web designers are
right - potential visitors to your site are more likely to try and locate
you with a .com address rather than a .org address.  I would recommend
reserving both sides, as you said, and having the .com url automatically
redirect your users to the .org url.

Jenny Young