In a message dated 11/20/02 8:07:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> My old Museums Studies prof. told my class that the field is approximately
> 80% female. This statistic breaks down when you consider only Museum
> Directors, who are currently disproportionately male. (If anyone out there
> knows where she got these stats I would be interested to see the original
> study and read more about it).

I agree with that- I have noticed much more male than female directors
(although the female directors I have met have been so inspiring!).
Years ago when I was interviewing for grad schools I sat at a dinner with the
director and she motioned around the room and said she could tell me with a
guarantee the three people in the room who would be museum directors in a
decade. I was amazed that she was able to read people so well until she said
it was the three men in the room.
It's the reality of all female dominated professions- nursing, teaching,
museums- the top is men. Translate that as you want, but that doesn't smack
of an EOE violation to me at all- it smacks of something else! But it is also
not all gender stereotyping which can be blamed on others- there is also a
difference in the way men and women operate, what interests them, their
values and what they want out of life.

Pamela Feltus