The roads to a lucrative museum career are many. Many well-established
professionals and recent newcomers to the field have pursued the route =
I describe above.

Lucrative? HAHAHA!!!  (Couldn't resist!)
Of course, there are many rewards in this business.  I am happy to see suggestions to intern and work in museums to supplement an academic discipline.  IMHO I believe it is extremely important for everyone who comes in contact with collections to understand proper collections management techniques including basic knowledge of materials and construction techniques and knowing how best to house and handle objects.  I think the best way to acquire that knowledge is by taking a good collections management or conservation for curators course before or while applying the knowledge as a volunteer or intern.  Oh, and after getting the job it's important to keep up with new information too!

Starlyn D'Angelo,
Curator
Shaker Museum and Library