Hello all-

I am beginning a master plan for a new museum that has a collection of over 100 large historic neon signs. They are currently stored outdoors on 2 acres and are in various stages of deterioration.

The dilemma is: what kind of storage and exhibition would be best for the future? Some signs will be fully restored and installed in an outdoor setting while others may be indoors.

The plan has always been to keep storage uncovered and to create a walking tour but I have reservations about this idea now as we begin to treat the objects as artifacts with long term survival at stake. However most of the collection can only be moved by crane and a structure to completely enclose them seems unlikely and reduces the access for photo shoots, filming etc that we handle on a regular basis!

I'd love input about how other museums have dealt with large objects with original usage outdoors. Any ideas about combining access and protection would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards-
Sandra L. Harris
Executive Director
The Neon Museum