I know that the AAM guidelines say that money made from the disposal of collections objects cannot be used for anything other than collections care or acquisition.  However, is there a guideline that says how funds made from the use of an object must be spent?  For example, a non-scientist wants a pretty rock in a picture.  I loan him a rock and he gives the institution $50.00.  Is there a guideline that supports my position that this money should be used in the collections?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Steve Sullivan