Dear all,

I am debating on how (and if), precisely, I will number a previously unnumbered archive collection. The collection consists of potentially private records from a (now defunct) non-profit organization, non-private records, newspaper articles, sports handbooks, video and film. We are a brand new institution, so our policy about archives vs. objects has yet to be written (your input will help me write it!).

The readings I have been able to get my hands on thus far have given little help. _New Museum Registration Methods_ has two pages about numbering, and their section on archives is geared more toward institutional archives as opposed to non-private archive collections. I haven't been able to find a good book, like _George Garner, Read This To Answer Your Questions_. :)

My questions are:
1. What, precisely, is contained in an "archive" and how would I treat them differently than my objects in terms of numbering/record keeping?
2. When is an artifact an "archive" as opposed to an "object." Precise definitions of each will be useful when I update my collections policy.
3. Is there a standard numbering system for archives that differs from objects? Should I keep my current system (NSMHF "4 digit year"."Acc. #"."Item w/in acc.") but include a pre(suff)ix? i.e., NSMHF 2002.4.5 - A? NSMHF-A 2002.4.5?

Some details about my current setup:
I am using PastPerfect which automatically assigns an 'A' or 'O' upon printout based upon Archives or Objects. It may mean a separate system is unnecessary? Also, I have received donations of objects with 2-d items probably destined for an archive (e.g. newspaper clippings, etc.) - I suffer from the "it's old - let's give it to the Museum!" bug among donors. I'd like to keep accession numbers for each, but I'm not married to any one idea.

I know this is a huge amount of information, however I am grateful for any and all advice. Also, if there is an article/book/webpage that I haven't found yet, please feel free to steer me there.

Thanks in advance!
All my best,
George Garner

National Speedskating Museum and Hall of Fame

George Garner, Director and Curator
P.O. Box 3120, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
(518) 587-2609