While I haven't read the article from Denver (so I don't know the specifics of how this is done), I would imagine that groups frequently tour museums presenting their own interpretation of the exhibits. And more power to them. Don't we are educators/exhibit designers choose a message that we are trying to convey? Jack Horner and Robert Bakker have diametrically opposing ideas about T Rex (scavenger or predator) and museum exhibits about T Rex tend to support one idea or the other, usually without mentioning the strengths of the opposing argument. And that's just one simple example.

As a person who is a Christian, has a degree in zoology from a mainstream university and has been the Supervisor of School Programs at the Maryland Science Center and Manager of School Programs at Liberty Science Center, I'm sorry that battle lines seem to be drawn over the issue of scientific dating, evolution.... How old the universe is proves nothing as far as whether or not there is a God.  I can discuss and respect both sides of the discussion because I understand both points of view, but I tend to avoid this because unless the person I'm talking to has an open mind, it just degenerates into an arguement. And museum people tend to be just as close minded as the fundamentalist Christians they complain about.

I've taught classes on astronomy and paleontology before in a museum setting. If I notice that a Christian school is signed up for the program, I'll seek out the teacher in advance and let them know that I intend to use the currently accepted scientific dating system. This way I'm not taken by surprise when someone jumps up and wants to dispute the dates. Generally I've found that Christian schools that do sign up for organized programs in paleontology know that what the dates are going to say and if they disagree with them are going to reserve this for post-trip discussion.

I believe this discussion thread began with someone commenting on a Christian school asking that the history of tobacco growing in a region be left out of a tour. If a teacher actually seeks out a museum staff person before hand to discuss tour content, I think that the group's point of view should be respected. If a teacher asked that a content thread be emphasized (maybe the role of African-Americans or women in an area) most museum educators would adapt without question. As far as the tobacco question goes, I might discuss with the teacher whether or not the tour could include it if the educator prefaced that part by explaining that they weren't saying that tobacco is good, but that because people long ago didn't know of the health hazards, tobacco was/is a big industry in the area. But if the teacher is adamant that they don't want to deal with it, then the museum should adapt and rack it up to experience.

It can be hard to know what will spark a dispute with a visitor or group. But nothing is gained by starting an arguement.

Jeannine Finton