At 17:04 25/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
Kate,
    One of the best museums I have ever been to, the In Flanders Fields
Museum in Ypres, Belgium, does its exhibits in FOUR languages - English,
French, Flemish Dutch, and German.  What they did was have a
graphic/artifact/whatever and then 4 columns of text below it, all
saying the same thing, one of each language.  Each language had a little
flag above it or other distinctive marker, and was in a different color
and sometimes a different background color as well.  I didn't find it at
all overwhelming and the system was easy to figure out.  By the way,
their website is also biligual English/Flemish; it is below if you want
to look at it.  It has contact information as well (under "Who is
Who?"), if you want to talk to them about specifics.  I hope this helps.

www.inflandersfields.be

Chris Kolakowski
Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park (on sabbatical)
MA Candidate in Public History, State University of New York at Albany

In Flanders (Flemish=Dutch speaking part of Belgium) we are used to have exhibits in four languages. There are different methods used, Ypres ("Ieper" we say) is one of these. It depends on the public and the amount of information you want to transmit.
Most of our designers are used to this practice - and I'm sure we can advise you on specific aspects. The main problem is to have a good translation, which not only translates the text but also the 'cultural context'.
Don't hesitate to get in touch.

Adriaan Linters

Kleio nv heritage consultants
Vlamingstraat 4