Julie Hutchinson:

Thank you for your insight. I really appreciated your response. I am very eager to learn more about various teaching styles to help a multitude of students learn. When I was growing up, I hated it when the teacher used to make us carry with us a worksheet of questions that we had to answer when we watched a movie or go on an educational field trip. I much more enjoyed an oral discussion where we were asked what we have learned, what appealed to us and why, and have the teacher discuss facts about the subject throughout this discussion. sometimes as a way to elaborate what we have said in our discussions.

When I taught studio art/art history to my young aged students, I took them on a field trip to art galleries and the local library, which had some art on display. During our trip I would bring up subjects that I wanted them to learn and have them respond in a discussion format. I would go over these subjects, point them out as much as possible in different art pieces for them to remember. I have also tried this sort of method sometimes when I was an assistant teacher at an elementary school.That method is just one method, but I feel that it is a terribly good one to know where each child is. I just like to get my students talking about what they are learning and interact with me, other students, and museum or historical professionals in response to what they are being taught. I want them to feel like they are mini scholars discussing very important historical and cultural events, issues, and how all of these things relate to present life if possible.

Any other thoughts about education methods would be greatly appreciated from all.

Sincerely,

Merri

M erri C .Pemberton